The News In Photographs For Augusta co. VA

Traffic From V511virginia.org and Interstate Cameras from trafficland.com

My latest images for sale at Shutterstock:

My most popular images for sale at Shutterstock:

Nancy Marion Dowdy, Vice Mayor (Ward C) Waynesboro City Council - March 12





































PHOTO 1: Nancy Marion Dowdy

PHOTO 2: before a council meeting Dowdy checks her mailbox.

PHOTO 3: Dowdy likes to walk down the stairs to the council meeting room.

PHOTO 4: standing in the council chambers Dowdy before meeting meets with other people and has a good laugh.

PHOTO 5: Dowdy speaking with the city manager for the public meeting

PHOTO 6: in the TV production room Dowdy helps explain how they put the meetings on TV.

PHOTO 7: Dowdy listens to a citizens question at the city Council meeting.

PHOTO 8: Nancy Dowdy with her colleagues.

PHOTO 9: a lively discussion after the meeting.

PHOTO 10: Dowdy leaving to go home with her husband.

What is it like to be on the city Council?

It's a tough job, also very exciting! It is exciting to see how many changes I have seen in five years. It's exciting sitting looking at the building across the street, the new museum, exciting to see the changes in Waynesboro, exciting to see it come back to life, To see us taking care of the things that have been neglected for so long. It felt good to be a part of that, it is very rewarding. It also is very difficult, people don't understand what a job it is, and how much should work and time you put into it. I do it because it is my home, I care about it!

If we have an issue in front of us, I rely on staff a lot. I also go out and try to talk to people in the community and gather my own information. I take all that information and use the brain God gave me to make the best decision. It's not easy to make a decision, because you know not all people are going to be happy with that decision, and that there will be people that decision will be difficult for. Sometimes you have to look to the future and the long-term and sometimes people don't understand that. I always have Waynesboro and heart.

What do you do to get ready for meeting?

We get packets Thursday before a meeting, then I review it on the weekend. If I have questions and the staff is available I will ask them. If it's a big issue we are usually given a heads up the before hand. Being overly educated on an issue before hand, is not always possible, before we go into a meeting.

Photo Nathan Combs
Story help Sigrid Anderson

No comments: